Tuesday, May 22, 2012


So we are finally setting into the city and so much has happened since my last post. On Saturday night after our adventure to finding our building and meeting up with Fenly, we got ready for a night out on the town. We visited H Street and saw a whole new side of DC. It was the very underground local type of place. We first went to Sticky Rice, which was a Japanese place with tater tots as the special on the menu. Very cool place, and we finished off the night at Little Miss Wiskeys where we danced the night away (I was missing my dance partner hint hint). Afterward Jane and I convinced a guy to let us ride on his two-seater bike. All we had to say is that we were from Mississippi and that was enough for convincing.
            
On Sunday we went to brunch at a restaurant called 6 Engine. I think brunch is my new favorite, and I am glad that the rest of DC fells the same way. After eating with Mary Alice, Anne Wallace and Erin, we then walked around the monuments for about an hour to just see the city. The reason we left early was so I could meet up with Fenly and go to church. Well as great as that sounds, I got lost. Instead of putting NW in my NE and guess what I was about 30 minutes away. I decided to just walk back to the apartment, call it a night and get ready for my big first day of work!
            
Today was absolutely wonderful. This morning after we attemped to get a taxi since it was raining, we ended up walking. It ended up not being too bad, and I think we were all walking fast than normal since we were excited to get in the office. After checking in the building, we went to the 5th floor and entered the conference room in Senator Wickers office. After meeting everyone I found out that 7 out of the 10 interns are from Mississippi State University! Go Dawgs! I was so proud to call State my home and fells like Starkville in the big city. After getting through all the rules and basic information, we went to get our ID made and had a basic tour of were everything is in the Senate and House building. We got our assignments and a guy named Chris and me are the Chief of Staff interns for Mrs. Michelle Barlow Richardson. I am so excited, and we will get to do a little bit of everything! While we were sitting at our desks Senator Wicker went to speak with Michelle and came by where we were working and introduced himself. It’s great working for such a wonderful leader from the state of MS, and I am excited to see the rest of our work days. I feel like every day will be different, and it's awesome getting to see an office at work.

After our first day of work a few of us went to eat dinner right off the hill at a place called Bullfeathers. I was so exhaused on the way home from work that I could not even stay up to watch the Bachelor (big deal at the Delta Gamma house). These 6 weeks are going to go by fast, but I do miss everyone at home. 

At Sticky Rice! Fun night out on H Street

Trying exotic saki drinks

Us being adventureous

Sunday Brunch

Exploring

MS girls!

Beautiful day in the city!
                      I'll be back later this week before my adventure to New York this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment